Monday, September 22, 2014

A change in tactic

So here I am, just a week short of my 2 month anniversary in Japan. My personal Facebook page has been very active during this period; this blog... not so much.

The problem is, the longer you leave between posts, the longer the post becomes in your head, and in turn, the prospect of typing it out becomes exponentially more daunting. Plus I'm still in the process of settling in, developing a daily schedule (whoever said JETs have loads of free time is a liar!) and trying to enjoy outdoor and social opportunities before my area's notoriously grueling five-month winter settles in and I go into forced hibernation. More time for writing then, I suppose.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

REDRUM. REDRUM...


Anyway, this has all led to a change in blogging strategy.

Instead of mammoth posts chronicling the minutiae of my life as an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Northern Japan, I'm going the bite-size route. This isn't to say that there won't be longer, more contemplative posts as well, but you can also look forward to more frequent random snippets.

Although this list is likely to change over time, you can expect blog categories to include:

Daily life - Random observations about the everyday in Japan from my largely illiterate outsider's perspective. Curiosities abound, like the way everyone alley docks their cars, and how the banking system remains mired in the 1980s.

Travel - Duh. This one is obvious. Places to see, things to do, how to get there and generally assessing whether it'll be up your alley.

Culture - Festivals, traditional and history-related stuff.

Firsts - Accounts of my first time experiences in Japan, from trying foods to getting my head around things like catching a bus when you can neither read nor speak the language.

Japanese approximation - The Japanese are masters at taking something from elsewhere and putting their own spin on it. They've done it with language; they do it A LOT with food still. And results vary widely from awesome to awful. I put my tastebuds on the line so you don't have to.

Engrish - You're familiar with Chinglish. Engrish will centre on some of the most amusing Japanese-to-English translations I have encountered, particularly in terms of packaging and advertising.

Cool stuff - Interesting, idiosyncratic things I've found - and probably bought - in this country of hyper-consumption.

Cosplay adventures - Taking full advantage of the natural splendour of Tohoku and other parts of Japan... not to mention the vast costume-making resources available here. My firstborn may be named Daiso at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment